Monday, February 23, 2004

Missiology of Suffering

Last week I sat in a conference on the persecuted church. It was powerful information. The presenter has done about 450 interviews in about 65 of the most persecuted countries in the world. He has amazing wisdom and insight into what it means to do ministry. He especially has insight into doing ministry in the persecuted world. Let me share a couple things that were moving to me.


The first night dealt with persecution and the US. He mentioned the fact that the church grows when it is in a state of persecution. This being the case he doubts there will be serious persecution in the States. "Why would Satan want to cause persecution in the States if it will get the church going? It is doing nothing now, why cause it to get started?" What a powerful, challenging statement.


On the first night he defined the church. He defines church as:
1. Chooses its leader, governs itself
2. Cares for its members, supports and finances itself
3. Reproduces itself into new communities (defined by community)
I of course have questions. Does there have to be a leader? Do I have a church that fits this definition? Does this definition apply to churches in the states and overseas? If so we aren't the best at reproducing.


On the weekends I try to hang out with my church. I don't really consider my church the place I worship on Sunday mornings. Sure that is my church too. But I think of my church as my community. They are the people I pray with and play with. They are the people I eat with and cry with. They challenge me to grow to serve God more. They challenge me to receive grace more. They challenge me to not be greedy with my money or my stuff. They challenge me to live like Jesus. I wonder if we fit the above definition. We don't have a leader. We support each other somewhat, but usually not financially. We care about one another more than we care for each other. We have never reproduced. I'm not sure I have ever been in a church that can fulfill this definition.


Perhaps I am the closest now though. We are defined by our community. We live and love side by side; hand in hand. We encourage one another and pray for one another. We break bread together; we serve God together.


The conference finished with looking at examples of victorious faith. My faith is so far from victorious. He continued to share the challenge of the persecuted: "Don't give up in freedom what we would never give up in persecution." What a challenge. How convicting. How disappointing. I desire to experience victorious faith. I want to look more like Christ.


I went to Best Buy to buy a new CD today. They didn't have it. I don't know the title I just knew I wanted the Coldplay CD I learned in Africa. Every time I hear a song from that CD I think of driving down the streets of Africa. I miss that place. I want to hear the reminder more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment