Monday, March 29, 2004

props

I love wireless internet. I am sitting in McAlister's blogging and checking email. How amazing is that? I am ready for the day that it is everywhere...free.


I need to tell a story.


Tonight I was studying at Barnes and Noble. Well, okay, so I wasn't getting much studying done. I am trying to get research done for a paper, but it is slow going. So I spent some time talking to my friend Pam and reading some other books. Then I decided I was falling asleep and it was time to go.


As I was leaving I saw this cool new magazine so stopped to glance at it. On the other side of the magazine rack is a chick. I didn't even notice her until I saw this guy walk up. Here are his words (as best I could hear):


"Hey I've never seen you around before, do you go to Baylor."
"Yes," she shyly responds.
"Me too, what are you studying?"
Small talk continues but who cares about that part. Here comes the best part:
"Well I've seen you around before and I think you're pretty cute."
She said something I couldn't hear.
He said, "Yeah, I think your pretty cute and I would like to know if I could take you out some time."


SUB preacher just preached at me in McAlister's. I have a hard time not being cynical of this.


I've kind of lost track of my story thinking about preaching boy. I can't figure out why this is the way he chooses to show Jesus to the world. I respect his passion and conviction. Maybe I criticize because my faith is too weak to do things like that. Maybe I criticize because I can't think of what passage in scripture would support what just happened.


Now that I have at least temporarily left the story let me talk about this event I sit in. Mark often blogs around people; I tend to do it in private. This being around people sure sparks thoughts. There are cute girls on the left of me that just got back from Six Flags. I am jealous of the trip. I want so badly to go play like that right now. I also wouldn't mind sitting with the girls instead of alone with only my large sweet tea and my chocolate chip cookie. There is a dad (Baylor Dad T-shirt confirmed) eating with his Zeta daughter. I can't really hear their conversation so I just imagine what might be being said. There are a few others scattered here and there. I am on the quiet side of the restaurant. I can't see those speaking on the other side of this curtain thing.


Back to the story:
I can't actually hear the response I just assume she says she is dating someone by the bummed out, "oh okay," I hear.
He casually walks away, sits at a table in the cafe with another girl he was studying with.
She turns back to the magazine. I wish I could have see her face.


I have to tell someone. I rush back to where I was sitting to share the story with Pam. All of the sudden he is back there too. He came to tell another female friend the story. She thought he was lying. He told her, she didn't believe him. But even if she did she told him that would never work the girl would just think he was a freak.


This is when I joined the conversation. "He's not lying." I heard the whole conversation.
"Did you really?" she responds. "Tell him that this will never work and is a dumb idea."
"actually I have to say I was pretty impressed. But did you ever think it would actually work?"
We carry on a short conversation and I left both thinking this guy was a little too arrogant, but also might ballsy. I was jealous of his courage and embarrassed by his mode of presentation.


Gotta go; late for a meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment