Tuesday, March 16, 2004

breaking and cathing-up

Ahh, Spring Break!! Do you capitalize that compound word? I don't know but you should. It is such a wonderful chance to experience life differently than the way I have been for the last several weeks and for several more. I agree with the words of one of my favorites, Dr. Hulitt Gloer, when he told us last week, "It is really more of 'Spring Catch-up' then 'Spring Break' for both students and professors." This year especially it is exactly that. Today I decided I would do both break and catch-up.


I am sitting at the park. I had Bush's chicken while I was hear. I read some Bonhoeffer for a paper I have to write. I caught up with the family by talking to all four members of it (well I talked to Mom through Dad). I took a nap (until the sun popped back out and was both in my eyes and too hot to lay in it directly). Now I journal/blog. Next I will respond to an email from a girl (long, funny story I'll tell later). Ahh, Bush's tea is so dang good.


After I conclude this work on the computer I will have to head back to campus to hit the library (yuck) and the mail room. I love being on campus when it is empty; it is peaceful and relaxing. I can just hang out; I can park where I want; I have no choice but to eat out!


The paper is about Bonhoeffer's views on community. I get to read Life Together(I was supposed to read it in college but don't remember actually reading it. Except there are highlight marks throughout it and no "used" sticker on it. So perhaps I actually read this one. Then I have to find other sources to both support and critique his views. At that point I get to voice my opinion and what I have come to understand. I have no idea what community is, but I am trying so hard to learn. It will be amazingly beneficial to me in Africa, in the states pasturing, and in life in general. It should be a fun journey.


I really love this new computer right now. My last one had about seven minutes of battery life. Now with this one I am sitting in the car at the park. The breeze is blowing through the open doors and I am typing as I listen to Coldplay, Hootie, Sheryl Crow, The Dixie Chicks, and Norah. How cool is it that I can have them all playing out of the same box I am typing on.


The girl I mentioned. A couple weeks after the last Truett preview I got an email from Kristen. She had received it from these people I spent about 30 minutes eating lunch with. The two of them (husband and wife) had decided that they knew the perfect girl for me. Of course I quickly thought this was one of the weirdest things I had ever heard. But I decided it would at least create a fun story. So I emailed them, got her address and emailed her. Becca and I are still in the basic get to know a perfect stranger mode asking questions about life, family, work, etc. I have no intention of seeing it become more than a new friend. It is kinda fun!


Not sure if I ever mentioned it or not. Becoming friends, never worked with Amy. I wonder if Harry is right. Is it possible for a girl and a guy to just be friends? Do the chances improve if there are more than just the two of them in the relationship? Who knows? Maybe we never will completely understand what it is like to try and become friends with the opposite sex because we never pull it off without making out or someone falling in love with the other one. I think I have experienced it a couple times, but maybe I just didn't know the truth about the other person.


By the way, this is the first time I have ever given anything up for Lent. At the moment I hate Lent and I'm not really happy with God for the whole idea either.

No comments:

Post a Comment