Friday, January 30, 2004

Meeting Strangers and Living in Community

One of my favorite things in life is also one of my least favorite. I both love and hate to meet incredible people. It is a favorite because of the cool chance that you have to learn and interact with them. It is a least favorite because you often have a great conversation and then know that you are never going to actually see one another again.

One difficulty I still have in figuring out community is where do you draw the lines. I want to be around so many people all the time. How do I include those who “aren’t a part?” (Meaning they don’t know, and/or don’t like the others, etc.) Do I at that point participate in numerous communities? Or do I have one main community and lots of fringe ones? Do I just treasure the one conversation and then let the individual drift into the world of people I once knew?

I believe strongly in community. But I also believe in that community reaching out to others. The two issues I still deal with in the midst of this are how to feel any sense of consistency once the group gets to big and has to “multiply?” Also how do you build the trust with the newbies you have with the veterans?

I got no answers just random thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment