Tuesday, January 20, 2004

I have been pretty unproductive today. I very intentionally did not set my alarm clock. I woke up at 10:45. It was great. It had been a long weekend. I did Jason’s D-Now. Mark and I ended up in the same house working with the high school guys.
They were good guys. It was sort of tough though. I those situations I always find myself reflecting back to when I was there age. I think of the things I was thinking, and saying, and doing. I try to imagine what should have been said to encourage me to live my life differently than I have. I wonder if I needed more “don'ts” or more “how’s” or more “this is why’s.” I never quite figure out what should have happened.
My prayer is that we leave the weekend and someone has been touched. Hopefully it is one of the guys; usually it is me. We had fun, good things happened, God was worshiped.

Counseling
Last semester I went to see a friend who does counseling. We were only allowed to visit three times and then I started elsewhere. Now I have met with that Doc twice. Today was another.
At both of the first meetings the question was asked why I had come. I felt as if I was supposed to have this deep pressing psychological issue I needed to resolve. The truth is I first went because one of “the bosses” told me to. He told us all to go. He thought it would be a good place to resolve job related stress. Mine has never really talked about work. I don’t really have any job related stress because I don’t really do my job.
I go to a counselor because I believe all people can benefit from the experience and because I think it will allow me more empathy for those I counsel.
Each time I go I love it. It is so exhilarating. I leave with this new insight into me. It is fascinating. Each time I leave lost in thought about who I am and why I am who I am. One of the discoveries in the last two weeks was into defense mechanisms. We explored possible fears and anxieties in my life and how I might be going about dodging admitting or discussing them.
There will definitely be more on this issue soon.

Work
I was real lazy in my job last semester. God has called me to be more and do more. I have to be faithful to that call.

No comments:

Post a Comment