Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Life Together...and the time that follows...

Last semester at school I had the chance to read Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Life Together. It was pretty good. Today as I was walking home a piece of it came to mind.


My struggle the last several days has been loneliness. Honestly this isn't something I expected to deal with. I know many of the Americans here. I even spend quite a bit of time with them. I also have several national friends.


Bonhoeffer's book talked about community. Today I wanted to read part two of the book (I don't know of one.) In LIfe Together he encourages the reader to embrace community. He makes the claim that it will be short lived because our call is to go out alone into a world where believers are not. At that point we lose the community we have had the chance to live in the midst of.


Last Saturday I wanted so badly to call up the old gang for a game of football at Cameron Park. When I wanted to call they were probably all in bed, not to mention the fact I don't live in Waco anymore and neither do some of them. I had amazing community there. I miss the gang.


I want to read what Bonhoeffer claims is to follow the time with community. My guess is it is written about throughout the book The Cost of Discipleship. One day I will get to "reading" that one. (In school I skimmed it…twice.)


My greatest hope today is one I have mentioned before. I desire true community. I desire to find national "persons of peace" to walk the journey with. I hope relationships with the other Americans here increase so that we may be community.

No comments:

Post a Comment