Friday, June 25, 2004

Appropriate Worship...

[Listening to: Fall On Me - Student Life Praise & Worship - I Will Exalt]



Last week I went to Houston for a few days. I met with a couple of the pastors our overseas work is partnered with. Both of the churches I visited are house church models. They have the majority of their focus on the small group events and life together that happens in houses of members and everyday life activities.


One of the churches has a weekly celebration service. They are moving locations in about a month. A new Christian in the church is opening a coffee shop. The shop is closed on Sundays and the church is going to move their celebration from Saturday night to Sunday and meet in the coffee shop.


The majority of their church members are pretty new Christians. They love that; in fact that is their target. The pastor did mention that they deal with one struggle that they are more concerned about with the new location.


I have been thinking through the idea since he mentioned it. their concern is how they will keep celebration (worship) from becoming so relaxed that it is irreverent. Of course I understand the question; I have heard it a million times. In another time and place I would have asked the question.


Today I struggle deciding what would be too irreverent. Long ago I began to get frustrated with rules about hats, and appropriate Sunday dress, and drinks/food in sanctuaries. If the worship of Christ is going on around people is it even possible for others not to catch the spirit. I'm still trying to figure out where I stand with this.


I imagine the day when many have come to Christ and several house churches come together for a celebration service. I imagine that all will be poor, many will smell bad, and most will have been wearing the same clothes they have had on for a week. Some will be there with their goat. Some will be talking with others, some will be doing nothing more than trying to be in the midst of something new and growing. This is what Africa looks like. Is worship supposed to look different that life does? I'm not sure about it.


[Listening to: Where The Angels Sleep - Bebo Norman - Ten Thousand Days]

No comments:

Post a Comment