Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Truth in a Movie...

I'm sitting in the living room watching a movie I've seen more times than I can count. It isn't even a very good movie, but it is fun and I knew I wouldn't have to pay much attention and could work at the same time.

I'm watching Pure Country. George isn't much of an actor. But it is a fun story of trying to find one's roots. I'm not really writing about the movie because I'm a fan; rather I was impressed by something Grandma Ivy said.

I've had a few conversations lately about asking questions. I notice that as many of us move into a place of seeking and asking questions we have one goal in mind...answers. I was so blessed to go to a school and be surrounded by friends who forced me to ask questions.

Now I'm still not sure I'm much of question asker, but I keep trying. However, over time I've learned one thing. I've learned that asking questions isn't always about finding answers; often the question is more important than the answer.

Earl was asking Grandma Ivy where Wyatt was and she gave him some long answer about a tree growing too fast and something about its roots. Earl had no idea what she was saying and told her he had never heard her answer a question directly. She merely smiled and said, "There are no answers, only the search."

Now she wasn't intending to claim any spiritual truths, but I wonder if she is right. I wonder if Jesus is more interested in our search, our journey, than he is us discovering answers. I guess one day we'll learn, for now I'll just keep searching.

I'm excited that I have a new friend in the search. Two guys helped change my life. Mark and Jason were a big part in me becoming who I am today. Now some might not compliment them on that but I sure do. I'm not yet where I desire to be or where I think I'm created to be. But I give a lot of credit to those two for where I am on the journey. Their faithfulness in our accountability has done wonders for me.

Last week I started to meet with a new guy. Now we are meeting together to live the journey. We are trying to hold one another accountable and ask tough questions about one another's walk; about faith; about life. Together we search. One other thing I think I've learned is that the search is supposed to happen in community. Thankfully I've found some.

No comments:

Post a Comment