Sunday, February 20, 2005

Help Wanted...

I have begun to become frustrated with something. I think the problem is my own, but I'm not sure. Around many of my coworkers I continually hear the Bible refer to simply as "The Word." I've used the same descriptor. My problem is with giving the Bible more authority and/or power than it claims to have itself. I had never heard of the concept of Bibolitry (spelling?) until I was a senior in college. Now it scares me.

I have great faith in scripture. I believe it to have power and be from God. I believe God was brave enough (sometimes I think stupid enough) to used normal people to write the words that would become sacred.

In John 1 we see talk of "the Word" but it sure doesn't appear to be the Bible. Here is my question. Does the Bible ever claim itself to be the word of God or are the references to word of God in the Bible speaking of something quite different.

These types of questions make me miss school. At Truett I could have sat at Common Grounds with the fellas and gained some perspective. I could have asked some questions in class and not been blasted as a heretic. I'm not sure I have that ability anywhere here yet.

I sure would appreciate some feedback. Comment here or send an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment