Saturday, July 31, 2004

Patrick...

I was in Georgetown towards the end of my summer. I had gone to visit Falmouth, where I was once and youth pastor, and some college friends at Georgetown. I was sitting in the Lock and Key - this neat new coffee shop with free wireless internet. I called home to see how the family was doing.


I found out Patrick had had a car accident. It was pretty bad and they didn't know if he was going to survive. I didn't know Patrick real well. I remembered him from around church. I had played high school soccer with his older brother Cory. I knew his mom and dad fairly well. Rocky and Terri were divorced…had been for as long as I can remember.


I returned home several days after the wreck had happened and mom and I had planned to go to Nashville to do a few things. We decided to go by Vandy to visit Patrick's family. He was still barely holding on. It was Thursday.


Wednesday the doctors had told his parents to get their family there he was going to make it through the afternoon. He did. We saw them on Thursday. We still couldn't see Patrick…he was in a drug induced coma and was barely getting by. I remember Rocky telling me, "In the morning we just pray for a good morning. At night we only hope for a good night. We look for good news moment by moment that is all we can hope for right now."


I remember giving Terri a hug. We had worked together on some youth events when I was the interim at Lone Oak. I shook Rocky's hand. For some reason I remember his bracelet…that kind they sell on TV that are supposed to help your circulation. Cory gave me a hug. I didn't know Cory real well, but as I went to shake his had he hugged me.


A couple weeks later I preached at church Cory was there. He came and thanked me for visiting. We talked and I found out Patrick was improving daily.


They have moved him to Lexington. He is up and getting around on a walker. His memory is still bad. They didn't think this kid was going to live!


I talked to my mom the other night and she had received word (actually dad had) from Rocky. He wanted me to know something. Patrick was being told what all was happening and needed to happen. He asked his dad to write it down and read it to him again later because he wouldn't be able to remember it. Rocky said he would.


Patrick asked him to give it to the male nurse that was taking care of him, and he would read it to him also. According to Rocky these were Patrick's words. "Give it to ____ (I forgot the nurses name.) he is a good guy. He will read it to me later too. He is a good guy; he reminds me a lot of Chad at church."


There is no reason why anyone would remind him of me. I barely knew the kid. I have tried to remember what I knew him from and all I can think of is he must have been at a D'Now or at children's camp with me. For some reason this 19 year old kid who I have not seen or talked to in years remembers me and remembers me as something good.


Wow! What are we to do with that? I didn't and don't know how to respond. I am humbled. I am shocked. I am scared that the remembrances of many might not be so positive. I am frightened to realize that even when I didn't know Patrick was watching he saw me.


Now I prepare to go to Africa. I will be watched. Others will know I am a follower of Jesus and what will my life speak.


Pray for Patrick. Pray he continues to improve. Pray for me. Pray that I leave others remembering Christ even when I don't know I am leaving them with anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment